Defence Lawyers Association
Inaugural Conference and Official Launch
29 October 2020
at Te Papa, Wellington
An excellent opportunity for members to come, meet, learn and contribute. With the Criminal Law Symposium in Wellington the next day – two days of focussed law talk in Wellington – what could be better!
Attendance at the conference also qualifies for CPD hours.
DLANZ is a grass-roots organisation “by defence lawyers for defence lawyers” - the cost of attendance at the conference is by koha – attendance at the conference is limited to members only.
DLANZ has an exciting line up of topics which are both educational and inspirational including:
• The Hon Michael Kirby AC CMG - the Honourable Michael Kirby will talk about the ongoing fallibility of the criminal justice system in protecting innocence, the entrenched asymmetry of indigenous populations within the criminal justice system, and the critical role of defence counsel to ensure things do not go wrong.
• Supreme Court Justice Joe Williams and Associate Professor Khylee Quince - He Kōrero –The intersection between race and justice (facilitated by Echo Haronga).
• Bonnie Hoffman (former public defender and Director of Public Defense Reform and Training for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)) - the new wave of progressive American prosecutors and the experience of American Public Defenders - rolling back decades of failed tough on crime policies
• Jonathan Eaton QC – The George Gwaze story - persuasion through expert evidence - theirs and yours.
• Rachael Reed QC - holding the prosecution to account - available remedies including costs, remedies for disclosure breaches and BORA breach actions.
• Christopher Stevenson - Opening statements - why they are so important, and how to use them effectively.
• Elizabeth Hall - Disclosure - the crisis deepens. How to handle tricky disclosure situations.
• Lucie Scott - First convictions can have devastating consequences - how to triage and avoid.
• Luke Ameye - Top technology to help defence lawyers.
To become a DLANZ member download an application form from the website "Join" tab.
To register for the conference please email